For Jake Quigley, adventure is more than just a past time, or even a passion. Adventure is a lifestyle, and one he built up around his epilepsy.
Jake was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was eleven years old. Rather than being scared by the condition, those around him encouraged and supported Jake to try adventurous things.
But having carved out his adventure lifestyle, Jake’s seizures began to evolve when he was an adult, and they started to impact on his quality of life. Eventually, medication wasn’t working, and Jake was left with one last option: brain surgery
Terminology used in this episode:
- Medically refractory epilepsy: Epilepsy that is never fully controlled by medication.
- Generalised seizure: a seizure that affects the entire brain
- Focal point: A place in the brain the seizure starts
- Grand mal: a generalised seizure where a person loses consciousness and convulses. Also known as a tonic-clonic (more modern term).
Read the story:
More about Outdoor Mindset:
Follow Outdoor Mindset:
Buy mugs, journals, and postcards to support the podcast:
- Groovy Guitar – LOOP by joshuaempyre | License: Attribution
- Extract of “wrapped in dreams” by Frankum & Frankumjay | License: Creative Commons.
- Lonely Lake by Kev Rowe | License: Creative Commons
- git2016_4.WAV by Hoerspielwerkstatt_HEF | License: Attribution
- BR_094_Himalaya_Buddhistmonks.mp3 by kevp888 | License: Attribution
- Groovy Guitar 2 – LOOP.wav by joshuaempyre | License: Attribution
- Explosion and Ski sound effects from Zapsplat | License: Creative Commons
Follow Seize Your Adventure: